Homeowners Insurance Claims Lawyer Illinois
Insurance is one of the necessary but expensive bills we have to pay. Not having homeowners insurance can be risky in Illinois, as many homes suffer from damage from fires, lightning, floods, hail, and winds.
When something does happen, you expect your claim to be paid promptly. However, that is not always the case. Many companies go to great lengths to unfairly deny claims. They may delay payment or refuse to pay out altogether.
When this happens, you may feel stuck. Should you just suck it up and pay for the damage out of pocket? You shouldn’t have to go this route. Let the homeowner’s insurance claims lawyers at Anspach Law Office handle your case. Our Illinois lawyers will take the time to understand your situation so we can build a strong legal strategy.
What You Need to Know About Homeowners Insurance Claims
When the unexpected happens to your home, you may have a lot of questions. Here are some steps you should take:
- Understand your policy. Review your homeowner’s insurance policy carefully to understand what is covered and what is not. Policies can be wildly different from each other, so it’s important to know the details of your specific coverage.
- Contact your insurance company. Notify your insurance company as soon as possible after the incident so they can start the claims process.
- Meet claim deadlines. Be aware of any deadlines for filing claims or providing additional documentation. If you don’t submit documentation in time, it could affect your ability to receive compensation.
- Document the damage. Take photos or videos that show the damage to your property. This documentation will be helpful when filing a claim and can serve as evidence for the insurance company.
- Keep records. Document all communication with your insurance company in a notebook. Note the date, time, and details of each conversation. This can be useful if there are disputes or discrepancies later on.
- Get estimates. Your insurance company may require that you obtain estimates for the cost of repairs from contractors and other professionals. Ask your agent to clarify this process.
- Attend the claim adjuster inspection. Your insurance company may send a claims adjuster to inspect the damage. Be sure to attend to ensure all damage is documented.
- Get temporary housing. If the damage is extensive, your home may be uninhabitable. Check to see if your policy provides coverage for additional living expenses.
- Review settlement offers. When the insurance company provides a settlement offer, carefully review the terms. Ask questions before you sign the offer.
Contact Us Today
Homeowners purchase insurance to protect themselves in the event of fires, extreme weather conditions, theft, and other issues. However, obtaining compensation for an incident can be a real pain, as claims are often denied unfairly.
When you need a homeowners insurance claims lawyer in Illinois, the team at Anspach Law Office will fight for you. Many of our clients are told their cases are not worth pursuing or can’t be won. We’ll prove otherwise. We won’t back down. Schedule a consultation today to learn more. Give us a call at (312) 407-7888 or fill out the online form.